Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New Job = Big Ass Fail!

It has been well over seven months now since I accepted an F/T position and stopped blogging. At the time, I had little to say and starting a new job kept me quite busy. Other than commenting on TTR and Poor Paralegal, I have little to say in comparison to someone like Nando who has been vigilant in bringing issues surrounding law schools and over supply of newly minted attorneys to light. Good for Nando! Nando rocks and so do the other scam bloggers.

It has however left me with little voice. I'm not an attorney, I'm a non-lawyer. However I'm not one of these legal professionals who view attorneys as over paid dick-heads. I know their job is difficult and the wrong decision made can result in having their career finished. Working in law made me realize law is not LA Law, Allie McBeal, Law and Order. It's stressful at times and deadlines are tight. However I do enjoy the challenges, and being part of something when a person is successfully defended in a case which his actions were not the cause of another party claiming damage.

However full speed ahead to 11 years later, I am not sure passing on law school was such a good idea. Yeah I don't have the crushing debt that law students have. Back in 1999 when I was accepted, law school was also pretty expensive back then too (sidebar: 1999 version of tuition pales in comparison to tuition today). However taking the non-JD route in law well...sucks. This is the first time I hit a brick wall.

My new boss is an utter idiot and it's shocking that he is a graduate of a T50. He knows little, no scratch that...nothing. When I first came on board, I was given carte blanche in communicating from everyone from claims adjusters, to defense counsel, to the courts and police department. Now there is hierarchy. He is the one that things have to go through. For seven months when I was doing everything, he didn't care. Now there is a shift and I do not get it. When I questioned if any tasks were carried out incorrectly, or if any info was inadvertently released, "hierarchy" is the reason. OK...I get it. I report to you, no problem. But this dude obviously lacks decorum.

The new job became the death star in less than 7 months. I managed to put things into place, only to have no credit. No chances of any promotion either. It's crushing to say the least that after arriving at a satisfactory salary, I stepped backwards to the 80's. In NY, southern NY (near NYC) $45K is nothing.

Yes I know...don't complain. Bad economy and serves you right in not going for the coveted JD. However I never thought I would find myself at a job which I had sufficient reason to leave, but I can't because the pickings are slim. This country and the legal profession are in tatters. The quality of new attorneys is alarmingly scary. From not knowing what a preliminary conference is, to have to effin' clear all e-mails, through him, I resent being micromanaged by some idiot who has less experience than me, but has the position because he is connectedand knows the right people. Is it wrong for me to feel this way while so many people would give their right arm to work again?

1 comment:

  1. Try to focus on the positive (i.e. you have a job, so you can eat, put a roof over your head, etc.). Also, take steps to bail! It'll make you feel better, because you're DOING something about the situation. Secondly, you'll have an easier time finding something, because you're employed. Jobs are like girlfriends: it's a lot easier to get one when you already HAVE one...

    Oh, and here's a news flash: life isn't fair! Many times we'll work for something, only to: 1) not get it; or 2) not get credit for our efforts. He who has connections and knows people will always go farther than those of us who don't.

    ReplyDelete